Thursday, June 18, 2009

Global Colding

My socks are not happy today. Well, that makes the three of us.
I was trying to avoid the weather topic but I failed. It's pouring. On the ten day forecast, there might only be one flip-flops-weather day - a weekday! It is starting to feel like little Britain.
Sometimes I get this feeling that I live in "The Truman Show", this morning was one of those moments. I'm starting to believe that this whole shitty weather shpil was created especially for me. I actually wonder whether the minute I am underground or asleep, the sun comes out , the clouds dissolve and people walk around in their standard June clothing.
Are we getting an extra month of summer instead of June? Is October negotiable? What if Summer just doesn't come???

But enough about the weather. More important or exciting things are brewing in the world.










Union Square, yesterday:
Because we all had our vote
stolen at some point


If we're not going to be destroyed by another Ice-Age there's still the good old nuclear bomb scenario.
This is the first time in the 11 months that I've been here, that international news makes front pages for a few consecutive days. The economy and swine flu expended and reached the CNN interactive world-map media circus, but this time, it looks like it's too big a story for the Americans to ignore. Yesterday, on my way from work, I saw some people who even took it to the streets. That's how much they care (not sure if it's they or we?).
Today, however, is not a day for political activism.
I think that Mr. Weather will have the final word over Mr. Ahmadinejad's. So who am I to play it tough?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

London - New York - The weather has been alternating every 10 minutes since I landed at Heathrow four days ago. Last summer, in mid July, I spent ten days here, and it was constantly raining, by the fifth day I was clinically depressed. My sympathy for your current mental state, but consider the sweat and unbearable long long long scorching TelAviv summer that lasts at times through October and things may feel brighter. Besides rainy days are better for writing.

Anonymous said...

This is ridiculously heart breaking. I saw a video this morning of two student protesters shot and they bled to death while friends frantically tried to stop the bleeding. Shook me to my core. It's so wrong. It's so wrong that America won't step in and do more. Thanks for writing about this. It seems like people who come from countries with turmoil are aware, and those who grew up cushy (such as in the U.S.), turn the other way. I hope I'm immensely wrong on that.

yael said...

i think there is no bigger sign for u to see that u have to come to catch some deep frying sun on the beach of TLV...