Sunday, August 2, 2009

abnormal post

I was going to write about myself again. About summer in New York, about going back to school and about the Container Store. Something happened though, and changed my plans. While realizing it's not in the best interest of the blog, writing about something sad, serious and "local", I cannot write about anything else and I really feel like writing tonight.

Something very unusual happened to me an hour ago. I was crying from reading the news.
I can’t remember how long it's been since news had made me that sad. I have developed, like all of us really, a very thick epidermis and cynical gaze for the current events. Regardless of what side of the news I am, writing or reading; I never get too emotionally attached anymore.
However

An hour ago, I read about two young people, Liz and Nir, who were murdered in the heart of Tel Aviv yesterday, simply because they were gay.
I'm trying to think, since I read about their funerals, what made me weeping.
2 is not such a dramatic number. Not when you grow up in the Middle East. Disasters happen all the time. Planes crash, Tsunamis occur. It's not the scope of the tragedy.
It's not because it's Israel, not even because it happened a few blocks from my old apartment. Unfortunately we’ve experienced suicide bombers everywhere all through the 90’s.
It's not because they’re two beautiful, smart or innocent people. I didn't cry when young beautiful bright 20 year old boys died in the war. They're innocent as well.

I guess i'm thrown by how evil stupidity can get. In that sense, living in New York or Tel Aviv, makes no difference at all. I’m scared and I know it could have happened here just as easily. Today I’m not happier I’m here; I don’t feel more blessed or safer like I did after Israel’s elections as oppose to America’s. America is more religious, conservative and ignorant than Israel. Electing a black president was huge - but even he, the amazing Obama can’t formally support gay rights.
I am scared when people are killed because of idiocy and hypocrisy. For god’s sake. Alek*.

I hope that someone in power will act now. First to educate and then to grant people with the right to equally live their lives as peacefully as they can in the 21st century, in a democratic country of their choice.

* yea right.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like reading your posts

yael said...

my thaughts exactly-
"for god's sake.alek"

Unknown said...

Danush it was completely unbelievable- two meters from our house, like someone entered and shot you in your living room. the hood is under major grief, and rothschild is full with candles.

doda yael said...

beautifully put. It is really frightening to realize that ignorance equals evil....
love you!

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how often I would cry at the news. I had a habit of watching it while preparing for the day early in the morning...and while making dinner and decompressing at night. I quickly realized after a while that all it did was make me cry or angry.

It still leaves me speechless to think that even in a place like Israel, that has and continues to suffer so much persecution, that there are people there willing to persecute their own.

This happens everywhere. In India, in Guyana, EVERYWHERE.

I am increasingly convinced that while we are sentient and have emotions, we're still animals. We've just developed social rules and doctrines to keep ourselves in check from mass chaos and violence. :(

Needless to say, I no longer look at the news.

I'm sorry that two young people, just beginning to embark on their lives were killed for something so senseless. For something that wasn't a choice, but a result of birth...just like eye colour and curly hair or a widow’s peak. To think what they could have become...so sad. :(

Thanks for sharing, Dana. It's a reminder that regardless of how difference the po9liticians and religious zealots try to convince us we are...the reality is we're not different. We all struggle with the same things. DON'T STOP WRITING.

Anonymous said...

Your smile is one in a trillion :)